Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Watching

So, ever since we got our Bluray player that hooks up to the internet, we've been watching a ridiculous amount of shows via Netflix that we can't normally watch (we choose to subscribe only to basic cable and supplement with Netflix).  The past few months, we've been rotating between Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations and Mythbusters.  And when Chris is out of the room, Say Yes to the Dress.

Anyway, with Oscar season upon us, it kind of reminded me that there are actual movies out there to be watched.  So here's a rundown of stuff we've watched recently:


Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037.  If you're a little on the nerdy side (which you probably are if you've read this far), then you'll like this.  Really interesting documentary about the making of one Steinway piano.  True story: it take a YEAR to make a Steinway.  BABIES take less time to make.  Geez.  And an astonishing amount of a Steinway is made purely by hand.  This was remarkable and I highly recommend watching it.




Elegy.  Penelope Cruz and Ben Kingsley are the main characters who fall in love.  He's a professor and she's a just-graduated student.  Not to be superficial or anything, but I HATED her hair in the first part of the movie.  Awful.  But still, I loved the complexity of their love and despite a 30 year age difference, it made sense and was really touching.




A Secret.  A french movie about a family's secret past during World War II--totally different than any other WWII movie I'd seen before.  It was beautifully done and more on the psychological side than anything.  Watch it.


And finally, A Single Man.  I love, love, LOVED this.  Colin Firth is amazing in it as a gay man in the 60's who loses his partner.  It's sad, sweet, charming, and stylish.  I still haven't seen The King's Speech, but this movie sealed in my mind that Colin Firth is one of the greatest actors around these days. 
What have you seen lately?  Anything I need to catch while it's at the theater?  I'm woefully behind on new releases.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Terrific blog, and terrific post. A Single Man is sitting on my DVR right now, so I'll definitely move it up to the top of my viewing list. King's Speech was good, but my favorite of the nominated films was 127 Hours, actually.

I Have To Have It said...

Thanks Thomas! I've wanted to see 127 Hours, but I'm a bit squeamish. Might have to suck it up and watch it though because I've heard good things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...