Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Homemade Granola

I didn't really give a proper weekend update yesterday.  Blogger was being weird, so I decided to hit 'Publish' before Blogger decided it hated me forever.  And now it's back to hating me again...grrrrrrrr....

Anyway, I stuck to my plan and didn't do any projects this past weekend.  Doesn't mean I did nothing nothing, but I undertook no projects, so how's that?  Truthfully, I don't find it relaxing at all to lounge around watching tv all weekend so instead I did some much needed cleaning and a bit of cooking.  Chris also did some baking and made some bread. 



Is there any doubt as to why he's been my valentine for the last 8 years?

I made lasagna and some homemade granola.  Granola is one of the easiest things to make and it makes the house smell so good.  One of the other reasons I love to make it is because you there are so many variations: you can add cinnamon and nutmeg, omit the nuts, or substitute the raisins for cranberries, dried apricots or dried cherries.  I used some hazelnuts instead of cashews and chose to omit the coconut (mainly because I was out and was too lazy to drive to the store) and used raisins and dried cherries.  Yum. 

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashews
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.



In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.  I had some for breakfast yesterday with blackberries.  YUM.





In other news, Grizabella had a rough weekend.  Clearly:


What???  It'd been a few weeks AT LEAST since I posted a picture of her.  Right????  Right?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...