Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A suprisingly tedious makeover

So a few weeks ago I decided to embark on what (I thought) would be an easy one-day project:  repainting my jewelry box.  It was too similar in color to the dresser and there was just too much reddish/brown going on in the room.

So I took the jewelry box apart, removed the hardware, and sanded the whole thing.

Then I taped off the parts around the edges:

And then it was time to prime!

Then things screeched to a halt due to a stomach bug and a week-long trip to Tucson.  Then by the time I got back it was too cold to paint it outside, so I had to bring it in and paint inside, but the paint didn't go on as opaque as I wanted so I had to do 4 coats.  UGH.  Two layers of polyurethane later, I was done!  I put the hardware back on and voila!

I used a sample pot of Martha Stewart's Butterscotch and I'm pleased with how it turned out.  It's just a little bit of color and I love how it pulls in some of the colors from the teacups that I also use to store jewelry.  I want to incorporate more orange into the house and this is a fun little first step.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...