Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Well...

I came home from work a bit early yesterday afternoon to pick up the cat for a vet appointment and found that our house had been broken into.  There's a lot of stuff missing, most of which is replaceable: tv's, watches, electronic equipment.  My grandmother's ruby ring that was purchased by my great-grandfather in 1939, however, is not.  I'm really, really bummed about that.  Chris had some other items with a lot of sentimental value that were also taken.

Then there's a whole category of things that are replaceable, but a ginormous pain in the ass to deal with:  Social Security cards, passports, marriage licenses, birth certificates, etc.  Not looking forward to dealing with that at all.

As much as this sucks right now, there are two big upsides:  One: I didn't cross paths with the robbers and neither did Chris, so we're safe.  And Grizabella's safe too.  (She's very adorable, but she sucks as a guard cat.)  Two:  our neighbors are awesome.  We really couldn't have moved into a neighborhood with nicer, more caring people.  We have a LOT to be very thankful for.

Today will be spent filing claims, talking with the detective and scouting pawn shops for my ring.  I'll be back with a real post hopefully soon.

If anyone has any helpful advice to give, I'd be happy to hear it. 

2 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

That is REALLY creepy, because it sounds like they took their sweet ass time, looking for choice items all over the house. Including key identity documents. But what was the sense of taking sentimental things? Just nasty.

The Curmudgeon said...

Oh no... I wish I had some good advice, but all I have is sympathy. I hope all gets sorted out with as little heartache as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...