Monday, December 27, 2010

Never Let Me Go


I just finished Never Let Me Go last week and thought I'd share my thoughts on this bizarre book (and I mean "bizarre" in a good way).  I say it's bizarre because the premise of the book is basically science-fiction, but the book isn't at all science-fiction-y.

The story takes place in the late 1990's at an English boarding school where the children are raised in isolation from infant-hood until their late teens, when their lives take on their ultimate purpose (which I won't share in case you want to read the book, but I will say that it's totally messed up). 
The story follows three characters (Ruth, Tommy, and Kathy) from childhood into adulthood and chronicles their friendship and romance with one another.  The characters are incredibly real--there were several times where I felt like I had met Ruth before--and that's what makes the book really come to life.  Kathy is kind and thoughtful and a bit of a follower; Tommy is trying to reign in his hot-headed nature; and Ruth is a popular, bossy know-it-all who's desperate to appear more mature than she actually is. 

The pace is on the slow side and a bit heavy, but it's well-written and incredibly thought-provoking.  I definitely recommend it if you're in the mood for something different.  Also, someone recently made a movie adaptation of Never Let Me Go and I'm anxious to see it.  Looks like I missed it in the theaters, but I'm definitely going to watch it when it comes out on Netflix.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...