I've been using every excuse to bake cupcakes lately--snow in the forecast? stout cupcakes!--and Valentine's Day was no exception. I opted to make Martha's "One-Bowl" Chocolate Cupcakes for Valentine's Day, and as the name suggests, they're super easy because they use...wait for it...one bowl.
One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
0.75 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5 cups sugar
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
0.75 teaspoons baking powder
0.75 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
0.75 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used apple sauce instead to cut some calories)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
0.75 cups warm water
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line muffin tins with paper liners
- Dump all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine
- Add the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined
- Divide the batter among 18 lined cups
- Bake 10 minutes, then rotate the tins in the oven
- Bake another 10 minutes
- Let cool, then frost and decorate
I used a very basic frosting and then topped each one with a cherry.
Fluffy Vanilla Frosting
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
0.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
I halved this recipe--the original recipe made 4 cups of frosting, which I thought was a little unnecessary. Two cups worked just fine for 18 cupcakes.
- Beat butter on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes
- Reduce speed to medium, add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. After every 2 additions, raise speed to high and beat 10 seconds, then return to medium (this aerates it)
- Add vanilla and beat until smooth
The result? Freakin' amazing. The cupcakes were moist (even though I LOATHE that word) and delicious and the frosting was perfect--not to heavy, not sickeningly sweet, and just perfect.