Friday, March 18, 2011

Finally! A Before and After

Last weekend, Chris and I headed to a local antique shop to see if we could find a little piece of furniture for the dining room.  Ta da!  We did.  It's a cool antique place--it's a big warehouse and all of their unfinished furniture has two prices on it: the as-is price, and the finished price.  We spent more than we should have on this little piece, but it was perfect for the space so I'm okay with it.

Before:  The piece was a charming Pepto-Bismol pink, chipping really really badly, and was missing the knobs on the drawer.  Despite all of that, the cabinet was actually in good shape: sturdy and well-built with no major dings or scratches.



Lots of peeling paint

In about 5 minutes with the help of a chisel and scraper, I had the entire top stripped of pink paint.  The sides, drawers, and doors took another TWO HOURS though.  UGH.

After all the peeling paint was removed and the entire piece was sanded, I primed it:


Then it was time for paint.  I used Behr Ultra in Martha Stewart's Heavy Cream (the same color as the living room).  I was completely exhaused at this point (I had painted the dining room the day before and removed 8 bags of yard waste from the yard), so I sent Chris off to pick up some hardware.  He did good too and picked out just what I wanted!


Then it was time to paint the door and side insets with the same color as the dining room walls (MS Thunderhead).  Ta da!!! 

Here's the After:
 


I'd still like to line the drawer with some pretty paper and then we'll store some of our china and dining room stuff in it. 

What do you think?

3 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

That is perfect. That 'Thunderhead' definitely looks more green (like tornado-y green :)) in these pics. It's a striking combo with the Heavy Cream. Did you plan all along to paint the cabinet that way?

Dmarie said...

beautifully done! congrats!

I Have To Have It said...

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I planned all along to paint the piece white/cream. When I saw this particular piece, I figured that the insets should be a different color than the body and the wall color just made sense.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...